Saturday, March 28, 2015

My artbooks


Some of my artbooks
I really love to have these beautiful books in my home.
 Reading the background story of other artists. Looking for new ways to apply illustrations. 
Learning from the process. To be honest I don't experience 'artist blocks' and I think... 
this is one of the reasons.


Street Sketchbook
Streetart
As a teenager one of my big influences was graffiti and streetart. I used to live near the beach (in Vlissingen) and there was this large mural of an underwater world. Everytime I went to the boulevard I stared at it. A couple of years later I've met the artist who made it and he teached me how to use spraycans for the first time. Very grateful for that, because it teached me to have 'no fear' for big walls. If I never learned how to handle big surfaces, I would never be able to paint murals in stores, hotels or loungebars. Streetsketchbook is definitely one of my favorite books.


Kindling by James Jean

Signed
In 2009 James Jean was having a sign session in Brussels. I went there (was working on a big project in the meantime, put all my money in it) and I bought this book from my very last money, like...I didn't know if I could buy a ticket back to Netherlands. But it was worth it. :)


Tomer Hanuka in Juxtapoz

Juxtapoz
If you don't know Juxtapoz you should check the site, it's always up to date with the newest illustrations and mindblowing artwork. This spread is from Tomer Hanuka, love his scenes and colour combinations.


Edwina White in 200 Best Illustrators Worldwide

Personal styles
I always have been interested in different styles of illustration. People are using different media, textures. Love that. As an assistant editor of IllustrationAge I try to post those different type of illustrations.


Gordon Wiebe in Illustration Now


Tsang Kin-Wahn Graphic Alive

Graphic Alive
I've bought Graphic Alive because it's just full of ideas. Although there's a lot of graphic design, it shows that illustration can be applied in many ways.


Gustav Klimt by Taschen.

Gustav Klimt
In artschool we had an assignment to replicate an excisting painting, as a study. I chose Gustav Klimt, image on the left. I didn't know who he was (shame on me) but I realized later how influential this man was.


Hi Fructose

One day I received a package of a client with this Hi Fructose Limited edition book in it. 
It's so amazing!


That's me in Illustration Now, volume 5.

Illustration Now
I remember the day that I was looking in Illustration Now, hoping one day to be published in it. 
This is really special to me.


Mucha

Love Mucha and what I think is interesting to see, with Mucha but also Gustav...Is that they painted very realistic at first, but as the years pass by, they developed their personal style which made them famous. 


Ron Mueck in Hi Fructose
Want to see this with my own eyes!


What's your favorite artbook?
Share it in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment